Not sure which lighting system you want?
Request a visit
Call us on 01582 402455
Working across St Albans and the surrounding Diocesan areas, Church Lighting Systems has built up over 30 years’ experience in this area of work. Drawing from this, we know that the considerations of the exterior environment are very different to those of the interior of your church. However, our approach to such projects is the same – we always begin by gathering a full understanding of your church members and users of your place of worship needs and those of your building.
So, we look at the way the church is accessed and used at different times of the day, week and calendar year. We carefully examine the access and egress routes along with any points of vulnerability in the building. We identify the key aesthetics of the external aspect of the building and take account of the positioning, and historical and symbolic significance of various architectural features.
Once we have this fully formed picture in mind, we then design an exterior lighting plan that works in harmony with it. Our solutions can include:
- Using different forms of floodlighting to emphasise the character of the building and its key features. For instance, rather than lighting up a whole building, we may recommend illuminating towers, spires, stained glass windows or other significant points of interest.
- Providing discreet illumination fixtures and fittings that are sensitive to the church’s immediate surroundings and nearby community. We take great care to ensure light falls only on the building, avoiding any spill into the sky above or any glare on nearby dwellings or gravestones.
- Making sure your congregation feels safe and secure by offering a range of options to illuminate pathways (such as lanterns, low level bollards and buried uplighters), along with well-lit entrance and exit points.
- Ensuring the overall security of the building by installing reactive security lighting at any points of vulnerability (e.g. crypt/ rear entrances) and emergency escape lighting if required
- Working within your budget to provide you with high standards of workmanship and a wide range of quality fixtures and fittings. We’ll discuss the various choices on offer, including an exterior LED lighting system which is recommended for being cost-efficient, weatherproof, easy to maintain and eco-friendly.
- Ensuring your installation is compliant with BS 7671, adheres to all building/planning regulations and is completed in a way that minimises disruption to the daily life of the church and its local community.
- Offering ongoing maintenance, support and periodic electrical testing as required.
Your church is an important part of the heritage and life of your local community. Our role is to ensure your exterior lighting solution supports and enhances that reputation.